AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
CPE will develop a strategy to promote and enhance sustainable development throughout its project life and ensures all outputs and activities beyond the operation programme are aligned with this strategy. This will be implemented through adopting existing environmental policy and will confirm that the operation complies with environmental legislation. The main objectives of implementing an environmental sustainability strategy will be to encourage economic savings, improved management and environmental benefits.
(Business Plan p 59, 4.4.5).
The Centre for Photonics Expertise (CPE) is an innovation programme funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) through the Welsh Government.
The programme is led by Wrexham Glyndŵr University from its OpTIC Centre in St Asaph, in partnership with Aberystwyth University, Bangor University and University of South Wales.
Working from four Welsh universities, CPE draws on existing academic capabilities offering photonic solutions to businesses across Wales to improve process efficiency, productivity or enable business growth.
We therefore endorse the environmental sustainability values and principles of all institutions.
CPE is committed to incorporating environmental sustainability within all project activities and general operations through both internal and external efforts.
- We follow the principles of reduce, recycle, and reuse. We provide bins for general waste and recycling and encourage people to use them.
- We consider the environmental impact of our laboratory work and choose alternatives which are more environment friendly.
- We will aim to use locally sourced and ethically produced goods and local suppliers wherever possible. We also concentrate on reducing packaging and components harmful to the environment.
- We use heating, lighting and plumbing systems which reduce our energy and water consumption & have insulated above the recommended in all our buildings.
- We encourage all to reduce consumption of water, gas and electricity by turning off lights and heaters when rooms are not occupied and during experiments.
- All staff and visitors are encouraged to reduce the environmental impact of transport to and from the centre by walking, car sharing or using public transport where possible.
Each CPE partner university also holds their own individual environmental sustainability codes and policies which are adhered to in accordance with their own HEI’s internal regulations.
All individual environmental sustainability codes and policies comply with the relevant requirements and standards (albeit with minor variations applicable to each individual institution). All policies are regularly reviewed as per individual university process.
Further detailed information on each individual set of environmental sustainability codes and policies can be accessed within the ‘Appendices’ section below.
1. Wrexham Glyndŵr University
2. Bangor University
3. Aberystwyth University
4. University of South Wales