Thin Film Coating R&D Facility
Thin film technology impacts all major sectors including:
Aerospace & Automotive Solar & Photovoltaics
Electronics & Optoelectronics Scientific & Medical
Agriculture & Environmental Defence & Security
CPE’s £1.2M research and development thin film coating facility is the first of its kind in Wales and allows companies within the West Wales and the Valleys region to develop thin film technology products and applications. CPE’s team of thin film specialists work closely with these companies supporting prototype development as well as production scale commercial R&D developing thin film vacuum deposition processes and products.
The CPE Thin Film Coating Facility is situated at Wrexham-Glyndwr University’s OpTIC Centre in St Asaph. It features an industry benchmark vacuum coating plant along with key supporting equipment for optical analysis and environmental testing.
Download our flyer for more information:
Specific applications include:
- Camera lenses and systems
- Optoelectronics and microlithography
- Photovoltaics, sensors and filters
- Laser and mirror coatings
- Microscopes and telescopes
Click to expand for more information:
For R&D production of high density thin films for prototyping and mass production.
- Chamber width of 1350 mm
- Two electron beam deposition sources
- One thermal evaporator
- Plasma Ion Assisted Deposition (PIAD) RF plasma source to improve the density and quality of thin films
- Capable of optical coatings for deep UV to far infrared wavelengths
- Integrated optical monitoring system
Measures transmission, reflection and absorption from ultraviolet to near-infrared wavelengths across a wide angle range.
- Measurable wavelength range 175-3300 nm
- Multi-angle specular reflectance and transmittance
- Direct transmission, reflection, and absorptance
Temperature and humidity testing chamber for performance and lifetime testing.
- Temperatures from -70°C to 150°C
- Relative humidity from 0 to 98%
- Internal Size: 600 x 600 x 600 mm3
- Fast temperature cycling
- Three access ports
- Testing to ISO and MIL standards