The Centre for Photonics Expertise (CPE) works with companies in Wales to improve, or develop, new products and processes to benefit their businesses. It is a partnership of four Welsh Universities, and is funded by WEFO. CPE is designed to provide easy access to academic resource and facilities at no cash cost to the company.
Work With Us
” Photonics is the technology of light. It is integral to our daily lives through technology like smartphones, screens, telecommunications and LED lighting.
Photonics technology is found in a wide range of industry sectors such as: manufacturing, automotive, food, life sciences and energy. “
Wrexham Glyndŵr University – the lead partner for the project
As the lead partner for CPE, Wrexham Glyndŵr University’s team is based in the OpTIC Technology Centre in St Asaph. This facility is a hub for high-level opto-electronics technology and scientific innovation specialising in precision optical systems for aerospace and defence, space sciences, medical and astronomy markets.
Through CPE, businesses can have access to a range skilled expertise and state-art-facilities such as:
- Thin film vacuum coating facility
- Precision Optical Systems Design
- Environmental testing chamber
- Fibre Optic thermometry
- Microwave technology, optimised system design, and processing of materials
- Fabrication of Precision optical components
- Opto-mechanical design and FE of Optical Systems assemblies
- Metrology of complex optical surfaces
Has a long tradition of academic excellence and a strong focus on the student experience. Bangor University is ranked in the top 40 in the UK for research*, according to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014. The REF recognised that more than three-quarters of Bangor’s research is either world-leading or internationally excellent, ahead of the average for UK universities.
- Laser Precision Engineering
- Very small-scale precision systems for imaging, patterning, and sensing using Bangor Nanoscope and Superlens
- Design and simulation (Anti-laser filter, THz, acoustics, and optical)
- Semiconductor lasers
- Microwave photonics
Will work with West Wales and the Valleys’ manufacturing companies through knowledge exchange on the potential of software to improve their competitiveness, and, will support them in achieving the potential benefits through collaborative projects.
- Interaction of Radiation with Matter
- Thin films, Surfaces, Interfaces and Nanomaterials
- Surface Analysis
- Solar and Planetary Science
- Planetary Exploration Instruments
- Optical and X-ray Instruments
- HPC and Radiation Modelling
- Image Processing
University of South Wales
The University of South Wales (USW) has three campuses across the South Wales region: Pontypridd, Cardiff and Newport. USW works with industrial partners across many different sectors to deliver collaborative research that is both relevant and which provides solutions to the industrial challenges of today.
The USW CPE team is led by Professor Nigel Copner, who also chairs the Wireless and Optoelectronics Research and Innovation Centre (WORIC), and co-led by Hefin Rowlands, Professor of Quality Management. The team specialise in the design and implementation of optical systems across a variety of sectors such as manufacturing, medical and life sciences. Furthermore their expertise in manufacturing principles can support businesses looking to streamline their processes.
Below are specific areas where the team can help to support your business needs:
- LEDs: Lighting and illumination
- Laser systems (e.g. tunable lasers, high power lasers) design, implementation, and commercialization
- Optical measurement system – design and implementation
- Optical design and modelling
- Prototyping of Optical Systems
- Aspects relating to Quality Management and Quality Engineering
- Continuous improvement process development
- Application of Quality tool and techniques for process and product improvement